why i drink from a copper water bottle
you will start to see a theme throughout my blog on my love for ayurveda, starting with my dry body brushing post and now drinking from copper. this is one of my favourite morning rituals. my mum (sev) got me a copper bottle this year and introduced me to all the wonderful benefits she learnt from her years living in india. i feel really good when i do this on a regular basis and i find it's a good way for me to make sure i'm drinking enough water, not to mention the copper bottle is so beautiful, i love seeing it on my bedside table everyday.
- since ancient times ayurveda has advocated the benefits of drinking water from a copper vessel. ayurveda states that when you store water in a copper vessel it has the ability to balance all the three doshas (vata, kapha and pitta) in your body. this happens because the copper vessel positively charges the water.
- scientific studies have shown that copper removes bacteria and impurities from water due to what is called the ‘oligodynamic’ effect- the antimicrobial properties of certain metals.
- copper is an essential trace mineral that our body requires for metabolic functioning. since the human body cannot synthesise copper, we need to obtain it from dietary sources. foods such as nuts, legumes, leafy greens and seafood can be great sources of copper. however, they only provide small amounts, leading us to find the balance from other sources like drinking copper infused water.
SOME OF THE BENEFITS
- drinking a glass of water from a copper vessel (at room temperature) flushes the kidneys and the gastrointestinal tract.
- copper is a good tonic for the liver, spleen, and lymphatic system.
- helps in maintaining digestive health
- stimulates your brain
- produces melanin (pigmentation of eyes, hair and skin) in our bodies
- helps in absorption of iron in the body
- regulates the functioning of the thyroid gland
- relieves aches and pains caused due to swollen joints like in case of arthritis
- slows down aging
- copper helps neutralise toxins, ionize and balance the pH in water making the water fit for consumption
- helps regulate blood pressure, heart rate and lowers one’s cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- promotes faster healing
HOW I DRINK FROM COPPER
i simply fill my 100% copper water bottle before going to sleep at night (do not refrigerate). i keep my bottle on my bedside table and as soon as i wake up in the morning i drink the whole thing on an empty stomach.
HOW TO CLEAN COPPER
it’s important to clean the copper bottle every couple of days. i use cut up lemon or lime with salt on it and use like a sponge all over the bottle and let sit for a minute then rinse it out. you can also use vinegar and salt as well.
resources and information on the benefits of drinking from copper below
always check with a certified healthcare professional before starting any new health routine :)