banana, flax, yoghurt bowl
i started playing around with the recipe for this flax bowl about a year ago. i was inspired by an article i read on how to naturally detoxify every day and it was just a simple recipe of freshly ground flaxseeds (also known as linseeds) mixed into kefir for breakfast everyday for 3 weeks.
after i did this i felt incredible. my stomach was super flat, clear skin, and i was feeling very full, energised and satisfied after breakfast up until lunch. i started to wake up craving the mixture. i liked it so much that i made a few tweaks and changed this recipe to make it my own everyday breakfast.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF FLAXMEAL
flax is very similar nutritiously to chia seeds but i like it a lot more. it’s cheaper and i prefer the nutty flavour and texture over chia. high in omega 3, fibre, protein, b vitamins and selenium to name a few. flax is great for weight loss, digestion, anti inflammatory.. the list goes on. click here for more information on the health benefits of flaxmeal.
the best way to buy and consume flax is to buy the seed un-ground and grind them up quickly (i do this in my nutribullet) just before consumption or the nutrients oxidise and you lose a lot of the health benefits. it is recommended when introducing flax into your diet to start with 1 teaspoon and work your way gradually up to 2 tablespoons.
INGREDIENTS (1 serving)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly ground organic flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons of organic full fat yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt if wanting a dairy free option)
- 1 tablespoon organic desiccated coconut
- 1 banana
- fresh berries (optional)
- grind preferred amount of flaxseed in a coffee grinder or a nutribullet for 10 - 20 seconds
- combine yoghurt, cinnamon and flax in a bowl and mix (will become thicker and almost like a paste consistency)
- add chopped up bananas, berries and coconut on top
bon apetit! enjoy your new favourite, easy, cheap, minimal, healthy breakfast.
all photos by me