a lot of people wonder what anders heritage is? where does that beautiful chocolate complexion come from? is he spanish, brazilian, islander? nope, he is half singaporean half australian, but he prefers to use to word “eurasian.” we have been together for almost 10 years! holy moly. feeling very old. we have travelled through europe a couple of times, bali, thailand, different places in australia but still hadn't made it over to singapore yet! flights with scoot were super cheap so we booked tickets and headed over there for a couple weeks.
we had the most amazing time! i love singapore so much. it was so wonderful to see where anders and his family come from, experience the different culture and of course the amazing food! the city is safe, clean and had the best underground system i've ever used (the MRT). i was warned that it would be super hot over there, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as i thought. i had a rougher time in bali heat wise, plus everywhere is air conditioned anyway.
mentally prepare for very expensive food and alcohol in actual restaurants and bars. we stuck to tiger beers and street food from the hawker centres, which was way more affordable but also the food was so much better!! coffee is super expensive over there, too.. around $8 depending on where you go.
- hainanese chicken rice every day
- fresh sugarcane juice with lemon and lots of ice around every corner
- cloud forest in gardens by the bay (aka avatar/jurassic park)
- napping by the rooftop pool at marina bay sands
- anders’ wonderful family taking us to their local/favourite food centre called east coast lagoon village and treating us to a variety of strange and tasty dishes, a couple being chilli stingray, laksa and a mountain of the best satay you’ll ever eat
- nutella crumble cake in the food court below oasia hotel
- birthday dinner and drinks at flight bar on the 57th floor at marina bay
- fish head curry in little india
- books actually and plain vanilla cafe in tiong bahru
- when anders whole family threw the best party for us and everyone cooked their specialty, then when we left singapore about 30 of them came to see us off and hang out before we flew home. there were tears.
WHERE WE STAYED AND WHAT WE DID
- oasia hotel novena
- newton circus hawker centre
- lau pa sat hawker centre
- gardens by the bay
- haji lane
- meomi cat cafe
- singapore zoo
- marina bay sands
- little india
i hope you enjoy the photos :) more detailed posts on nice, provence, amsterdam and florence in the coming weeks.
all photos by me and anders