i had never really looked into amsterdam before we went there. one of those situations where all anyone had ever talked about was the legal pot cafes. but one of anders friends lived there and said it was definitely somewhere we would love. everything was so clean, organised and easy. a fresh change from the wild weeks getting around italy. everyone there seemed so cool. women riding bikes in stilettos and coats. here’s a quick list of some highlights. amsterdam is such a wonderful city, such a fun young energy everywhere and so beautiful. i think i could actually live there for a year or two.
SOME AMSTERDAM HIGHLIGHTS
- our hotel citizenM. as soon as we arrived i loved it. brand new boutique hotel filled with vitra furniture, helpful staff, lots of delicious food and coffee down in the lobby, super clean and safe and the most comfy king sized cloud bed you'll ever sleep in. we stayed in a room with the garden view and would highly recommend.
- cafe hoppe hangs and their bitterballen (which is popular dutch comfort food, deep-fried ragu/meatballs …) served with house made pickles and mustard.
- the jazz club “coffee shop” in the alley way behind cafe hoppe. i actually found it while i was at cafe hoppe looking for the bathroom. i asked two guys and they said go out that door and across the street. i ended up in a weed cafe with loud jazz playing(thanks guys). i went back and got anders and we went in. we shared 1 joint and had the funniest night ever. i’ve never laughed so much.
- coffee and eggs benedict/breakfast at greenwoods
- fresh mint tea - everywhere!
- bagels from bagels and beans
- dinner and beer at de zotte
- anne frank house - although a warning if you are claustrophobic like me, you may have a panic attack in there and need to run out.
- riding bikes around the city and then into vondelpark and having a hot dog picnic in there and feeding ducks
- getting tipsy in a random dive bar and cruising through the red light district
- canal cruise - great way to see a lot of the city and super educational on amsterdams history and architecture
- van gogh museum
- the FEBO fast food vending machines that i assume are for the stoned people.. filled with mostly deep fried savoury treats.
- and just wandering aimlessly down the canals, bridges and all of the little side streets, cafes, restaurants and shops <3