this is part 1 of 4 of our recent trip to bali. what an amazing, beautiful, colourful, spiritual, and hot place. we traveled through canggu, seminyak, ubud, uluwatu and nusa lembongan. there were so many wonderful highlights and some semi average experiences and things i would avoid next time. so here are some photos and recommendations starting with what was probably my favourite stop on the trip, canggu.
oh canggu, what a place. a super cool, breezy little surf town filled with young creatives, rice fields, fantastic cafes and restaurants. it's only about 30 minutes by car from denpasar airport. i hadn't heard of canggu until our trip was getting pretty close. the more i read and researched, i quickly changed the itinerary to include a whole week here and am so happy with that decision! i loved it so much, and could probably spend a few months living there. it was the cheapest part of our trip, but everything was of such high quality. we felt so fresh, healthy and happy there. below are my highlights.
- the calm tree bungalow - i am SO happy we stayed here. it was an oasis in the middle of town. super small, quiet, rustic family run bungalows, and CHEAP. we only paid about $40AUD a night. we could walk everywhere. lovely staff. the bungalows have no air con, no tv, and your own outdoor bathrooms. the bed is covered with a huge mosquito net and you get a complimentary natural mosquito repellant and instructions on making sure you stay uneaten. after fresh icy cold watermelon juice on arrival, we sat on our balcony and watched the first bali summer storm roll in. breakfast was included and so good. fresh fruit and nasi goreng (anders definitely had nasi goreng all day, everyday).
- betelnut cafe - literally next door to the calm tree bungalow was betelnut cafe. we loved coming here and sitting upstairs on the balcony having smoothies, salads, tacos, beers and looking out over the rice paddy fields. everything was so fresh and cheap.
- crate cafe - about a 5 minute walk down the road was crate cafe. another super cool place to hang and get a good cup of coffee and some breakfast in the morning. but my favourite thing there was the pesto chicken and green veggie dish.
- sunset at old man's - i'm sure you've seen loads of photos of people you know on instagram out the front of the iconic old man's wall. perfectly placed overlooking canggu beach, it's the best place for sunset drinks. 50 cent happy hour beers... need i say more.
- therapy day spa - we spent a morning at therapy day spa and got a couples full body exfoliation using all natural ingredients and massage. heaven.
- exploring desa seni - i originally wanted to stay at desa seni but it was completely booked out and also about 6 times more expensive than calm tree. desa seni is a resort/village/organic garden/yoga school. we scooted here one day just to check it out and have a bite to eat. they have gorgeous organic veggie gardens that they use for 80% of their cooking and also many different yoga huts and classes, plus a yoga teacher training course.
- scooting around - a big highlight was just scooting around canggu aimlessly and stopping along the way to take photos of rice fields, cows, street art and grabbing a cold beer at one of the many little bars.
- tapas at la finca - we went for a fancy dinner at the popular la finca. incredible spanish inspired food and pretty ambience with the dining areas surrounded by gardens and fairy lights.
- deus ex machina - i had no idea there was a deus in canggu, let alone directly across from our accommodation. we spent an afternoon here exploring the shop, cafe and watching the guys skate. lots of rad stuff here, including a famous sunday session we weren't in town for.
- roti canai - i became a little obsessed with roti canai. another cheap lunch or dinner option. who doesnt love dipping crispy roti bread into delicious curries and sauces. i also got the dessert peanut butter roti most days in canggu. SO delicious.
next up will be bali: seminyak