creamy vanilla bean and date hemp milk
i make this hemp milk every week. as well as my other favourite, cashew milk. i'm not lactose intolerant or against dairy (i am half french, cheese is my life), but i do like to minimize how much dairy i have throughout the week, so making my own milks is a nice way to do this. making hemp milk is really easy, quick (no need to presoak the seeds), high in nutrients and free from all the hidden additives, sweeteners and thickeners that alot of store bought nut milks have.
i use this milk in everything from coffee, smoothies, pancakes and baking etc. it's also delicious simply blended up with some ice, coconut oil, raw cacao and honey (anders invention!) it's like a healthy chocolate slushie.
INGREDIENTS (1 litre)
- 1 cup of hemp seeds (i get mine from the source bulk foods or you can get them here)
- 2 organic medjool dates, soaked for 10-30 minutes (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean pod, scraped or 1 tsp of 100% vanilla bean powder
- 4 cups of filtered water
add all ingredients to blender for 10-30 seconds until smooth, then strain through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. pour into glass bottle.
notes** this milk lasts 3-4 days in the fridge, so i always write the date i made it on the bottle. if making in a nutribullet like me, i only use about half the water when blending and then fill the rest up into the bottle. after straining, i don't throw out hemp seed remnants, i keep them in a jar in the fridge and add them into smoothies, chia bowls etc for added protein and fibre.
SOME HEALTH BENEFITS OF HEMP SEEDS
- very high in minerals and vitamins such as e, b, d, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc to name a few
- hemp seed oil can help with skin disorders
- can help with weight loss
- a great source of plant protein (this is why i keep the remnants)
- can help reduce symptoms of pms
- aids digestion
- contains GLA which helps hormone health and function